Saturday, May 14, 2011

Brown Chewies - A Childhood Favorite

My dear, sweet Auntie Rosy passed away this morning at the age of 101. The past few days I've been thinking of her and recalling images of her and things that we did together back when I was growing up. She was a bright light in my childhood and even though she had been living with dementia for the past 10 years or so, still carried that light and her innocent sense of humor to the end. The recipe that follows is one that she would make for us 7 kids. I loved these sweet, chewy, nutty morsels. It's one of those recipes from the 60's: no fancy stuff, no foodie pretentiousness. Pure simplicity. And, though I have not had these for years, I'm sure they would still taste good. Maybe I'll make them today in honor of my Auntie. 

Brown Chewies

1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
5 T flour
1 pinch baking soda
1 t vanilla
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1-2 T melted butter or margarine

Mix first four ingredients until combined. Fold in nuts. Spread over melted butter (or margarine) in an 8x9  cake pan. Cook 12-15 minutes at 375º to 400º. Cool and cut into small squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment